An Academic Approach to Understanding the 2006 Election and Preparing for 2008

Tuesday, May 17, 2005

After the Storm

As the forecast calls for another round of sever storms tonight, Hastings is still recovering from last Wednesday's hail storm. Our house got three inches of rain in an hour and a half, along with two inches of hail. Our basement has always leaked when it rains, so we keep our cardboard boxes on shelves; unfortunately, the rain filled our basement window wells (to about 3.5 inches) then the hail came and shattered out the windows letting a waterfall of muddy water into the basement and all over our storage shelves. Needless to say it was a fun night of basement flood control. Flooding our basement and cracking our basement windows was not enough damage to satisfy this storm. Three more storm windows and my car's rear window were also destroyed. Oddly enough, the glass balls on our antique lightning rods survived the hail. My car suffered about $4,500 of hail damage, not including the three inches of rain that got in my back window soaking my seats and damaging my rear speakers. The insurance company is looking at the car tomorrow and they will likely total it out.

Hastings Public Schools cancelled classes for K-8 on Thursday and K-12 on Friday to repair the storm damage. I spent Thursday with my brother raking leaves out of the yard. We estimate we cleaned up about 150 gallons of wet leaves on Thursday.

I can't seem to get my photo's of the storm to load to this blog, but if you click here you will get the to website that has them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home